December 2022—February 2023
What if everyone in Jackson County read the same books?
Each winter, JCLS and the Jackson County Library Foundation invite residents to join the Rogue Reads Challenge, where participants of all ages read and discuss the same books. This three-month program takes place December through February and features the 2022-23 theme: Music & Community.
Join the Rogue Reads Challenge on Beanstack, pick up a bingo card at your branch, or download a copy below, then read and discuss this year’s titles: Music is History by Questlove (adults), If I Ever Get Out Of Here by Eric Gansworth (teens), Amina’s Voice by Hena Khan (tweens), and Because by Mo Willems (children and families). Track your participation on Beanstack, or turn in your bingo card for chances to win fun music-themed prizes:
- Acoustic guitar and case
- Four passes to the Britt Orchestra concert season
- $50 iTunes gift card
- Basket full of goodies
Look for exciting Rogue Reads programs, including virtual author talks with Hena Khan and Eric Gansworth, a family-friendly Rogue Valley Symphony concert at the Craterian featuring the song in Mo Willems’ Because, and a screening of Summer of Soul, Questlove’s Grammy award-winning documentary. Register for these events and view the complete schedule at https://bit.ly/roguereads22.
Read the Books:
Amina’s Voice: Additional Resources
- Amina’s Voice: A Book Based On My Own Experiences – An interview with author Hena Khan
- Book Trailer – Amina’s Voice by Hena Khan
- The Name Game – A writing prompt from author Hena Khan
- Hena Khan’s Webpage for Kids – Writing prompts, art projects by other young people, a special book-inspired recipe, and fun interviews to listen to and watch.
- Learn about Pakistan
- Recipes from Pakistan
Because: Additional Resources
- Watch The Story of the Story of Because | Mo Willems and Amber Ren, a video about what inspired Mo Willems to write this book.
- Listen to “Symphony no. 8 in B-minor” by Franz Schubert.
- Listen to the song “The Cold,” which the girl in the story grew up to compose and perform at the end of the book.
- Watch a “Symphony Storytime” from the Oregon Symphony (available in both English and Spanish).
- Explore booklists the library has created to complement the themes in Because.
- Learn about different instruments by accessing coloring pages featuring animals and instruments that start with the same letter.
- Find music games, activities, and more at the Inside the Orchestra activity database and explore Carnegie Hall’s toolbox for music educators.
Rogue Reads Sponsors
This program is made possible with generous support from our sponsors: