Jackson County Library Services (JCLS) maintains a collection in Jackson County that is responsive to the needs and interests of its communities. It is not possible, however, for JCLS to own every item that every person might want. Some items may be obtained from other libraries as an Interlibrary Loan (ILL). An Interlibrary Loan is an item borrowed from another library system, either in Oregon or elsewhere in the country.
Interlibrary Loan Eligibility
Patrons who meet the following requirements are eligible for our Interlibrary Loan service:
- Patrons with a Full-Service, Full-Service Juvenile, Non-Resident Yearly Membership, Organization, or an At Home Service library card.
- Has an account in good standing and doesn’t have any library materials that are more than a week overdue.
- Has less than 2 active Interlibrary Loan requests. (Active requests are those at any stage of the Interlibrary Loan process: requested, in process, checked out, or on hold.)
- Has no outstanding Interlibrary loan fees.
Materials Available via Interlibrary Loan
Many types of materials can be requested, but audio, video, and genealogy items may be difficult to borrow. Materials can be requested via our Interlibrary Loan service if:
- The title’s publication date is at least 12 months ago. (If the item was released less than 12 months ago, please submit theses as a suggestion for purchase here.)
- Copies of the item are not owned by JCLS.
Interlibrary Loan Fees
JCLS always attempt to borrow from libraries who lend free-of-charge. If the lending library charges for an ILL, JCLS must first receive authorization that the patron requesting the item is willing to pay the charge before continuing to process the request.
Interlibrary Loan Policies
Requesting an ILL through the online form indicates your willingness to comply with the Interlibrary Loan policy of Jackson County Library Services. Failure to adhere to Interlibrary Loan policies may result in the loss of Interlibrary Loan privileges and borrowing privileges within Jackson County Library Services. The library’s policies for ILLs are as follows:
- It is the patron’s responsibility to pick up and return these materials on time.
- ILL materials can only be checked out on the library card of the person who requested them.
- OVERDUE FINES WILL BE ASSESSED AT $1 PER DAY PER ITEM FROM THE DATE DUE.
- The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or other reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright.
For more information, please view our ILL FAQs below, contact your local branch or contact the Interlibrary Loan Services Department at (541) 582-6211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.