Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Catalog Search

Meet Your Library Card: Frequently Asked Questions

A library card is pretty much a superpower. Learn all about the moves it gives you and how to get one for yourself.

How do I get a Library Card?

Print out a library card application online and take it to your local library or come in and fill one out and present it at any of our branches, along with two pieces of identification, one of which shows your current address, such as:

  • Driver’s license
  • County tax bill
  • Voter registration card
  • Piece of official mail with current postmark

If you are 18 or older and you cannot produce identification with a current address at the time of registration you will be issued a Temporary New Resident card which permits you to borrow two items at one time until you can complete the process to receive a full service card.

If you are not a resident or own property in Jackson County you may apply for a Non-Resident Card.

To get an eCard for digital use, you may see this page for online registration information.

What happens if I lose my card?

Notify your library immediately so that your card may be voided, relieving you of responsibility for any additional materials borrowed with it.

How many items may I check out?

Borrowing limits vary by card type:

Full Service Card: Sixty (60) items may be borrowed simultaneously. Some materials, such as DVDs and magazines, have more restrictive borrowing limits.

Temporary New Resident Card: Two (2) items of any type of circulating material may be borrowed simultaneously.

How long may I keep materials?

Each loan period is 21 days, with the exception of magazines and DVDs, whose borrowing period is 7 days. Interlibrary loan periods are determined by the lending library, and the due date will be specified on the slip accompanying the book. Materials will not be due any day that your home library branch is closed, either because of the branch schedule or for a holiday.

Are any materials still subject to overdue fines?

The new policy covers materials owned by Jackson County Library Services. Materials owned by Rogue Community College and checked out at a Jackson County Library branch will still be finable.

How much are fines for overdue materials?

There are no overdue fines on library materials. However, if an item is out for more than 21 days past the due date, the library will assume it is lost and replacement costs will be charged.

May I renew an item?

Yes, nearly all materials are renewable for two borrowing periods beyond the original 21-day borrowing period. Exceptions include magazines and some special DVD collections and items that are on hold by another customer. You can renew online through the Library Catalog by clicking on patron account and then items out. You will need your password. You can also renew by calling any open branch or in person at the library. Please have your library card number when calling.

May I renew an Interlibrary loan item?

Interlibrary Loans may be renewed only with prior approval of the owning library. Call 541-774-6421 to inquire about renewing Interlibrary Loan materials

Must I return items to the branch at which I checked them out?

You may return items to any Jackson County Branch Library, or to the Rogue Community College Library.

May I use someone else's card?

Cards are non-transferable. You may use someone else’s card ONLY if you are checking out materials on their behalf. The cardholder must contact the library to make arrangements ahead of time

What happens if I lose or damage an item?

You will be asked to pay for damages or the full replacement cost at the discretion of library staff

What happens if I don't pay replacement cost fees?

If overdue items are not returned within 21 days the library assumes they are lost and sends a bill which includes fines and replacement costs of the material. Unpaid accounts of $25 or more will be forwarded to our materials recovery agency when they are 60 days past due, and a non-refundable $10 service charge will be added to your account.

May children have their own library cards?

Yes, children of all ages may have their own card. When applying, children and teens 17 and younger will need to have a parent or guardian present, and the parent or guardian will need to present identification and documentation (described above) proving residency OR payment of property taxes in Jackson County. Parents may choose a Parent Restricted card which limits the number of items their child can borrow to two at a time. Parents are responsible for any charges incurred on a child’s card.

Can I check my account online to see what I have checked out or the status of my hold request?

Yes. Go to the Library Catalog and click on "Log In" in the upper right then enter your library card number or username and PIN/password. If you don’t remember one or both of these items, you will need to stop by any branch library with identification so we can assist you in resetting your PIN/password.

What if I recently moved to Jackson County and do not yet have proof of residency?

New residents to Jackson County may register for a temporary library card by presenting a completed library card application and two pieces of identification at any JCLS branch. The temporary card expires in 60 days and may be upgraded to a full service card when the cardholder provides proof of residency within Jackson County. The temporary cardholder may access all library services but will be limited to borrowing two items at a time. Renewal of a temporary card maybe approved by the Branch Manager on a case-by-case basis subject to any unique facts and circumstances.

I don't live or own property in Jackson County but want a full service library card because there is a branch close to my house. Do you have any options for me?

Non-Residents cards are available to persons living outside of Jackson County who do not meet the residence/property ownership qualifications for full service cards, but who wish to have the privileges of the full service borrower. Non-residents must establish proof of identity and proof of address. The fee for the Non-Resident Card is $100 per year, or $25 for three months, per household initially and will be reviewed annually. Every person in the household may have a library card for the single fee. “Household” means a group of individuals who comprise a family unit and who live together under the same roof. There is no reduction in the fee for small households. The fee is not refundable and cannot be prorated.

Why did you make this new non-resident library card policy?

Prior to this policy change, non-residents could only access Jackson County Library Services through borrowing arrangements with Klamath County or Siskiyou County or with a Limited Service library card until they provided proof of residency in Jackson County. This change permits non-residents to have a Full Service library card to access Jackson County Library Services.

I understand the non-resident card fee covers people in the same household. Can you provide further clarification on who would be eligible for the card once the fee is paid?

“Household” means a group of individuals who comprise a family unit and who live together under the same roof. Jackson County Library Services will issue a library card to each family member living at the same address when the household pays the non-resident fee. This includes both immediate and extended family members. People who are not part of the family unit would not be eligible for their own card.